Tuesday, November 17, 2009

To PS3 or not to PS3...

Ever since Sony finally decided to drop the price of the PS3 and introduce the slim, I have been contemplating whether or not I should invest in one. The main reason I want one is to play Final Fantasy XIII in March when it comes out, but it will be a dual platform game (which I already own an XBox 360). I can't really explain why, but I feel like I would be better served playing it on a PS3 instead of the 360. I like the PS3 controller better and would say that I have more brand loyalty towards Sony than Microsoft, but I also feel a little bit like I'm leaning towards a PS3 because it's the "sexy" choice.

Now that the current generation of consoles has been out for a while, the quality games seem to finally be coming out. As far as other PS3 games that interest me, (I'm building a case for myself to buy one here) Little Big Planet intrigues me, I've heard wonderful things about the Uncharted games, Infamous also looks fun, I've heard RPG fans who swear by Valkyria Chronicles, and I've thought about trying to accustom myself to console FPS's (I'm more of a PC shooter guy) so Killzone 2 might be fun. And I can't wait for FF13. But it seems like a lot of maybes for such a large cash investment, so I'm not sold yet.

I like the free online play and the fact that Sony includes a USB controller charger with their system, and the BluRay is cool even if I doubt I'd use it. If I did make the splash and buy a PS3, the only extras I'd buy would be an HDMI cable. (I expect to be doing any multiplayer gaming on the 360 with my roommates, so no second controller)

For now I'm still torn... but I kind of want one just to get more involved in this generation of games; I haven't been as involved with gaming as I was in the past. It's something that I'm still interested in, so chances are I'll throw my inhibitions to the wind and just buy one... now to make some money!

No comments:

Post a Comment