Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Be more creative... but don't change anything?

This blog post is a little bit off the wall, I have to admit. So as I may not have mentioned, I run a Final Fantasy XIII Fansite, so I'm definitely anticipating the game. It has been an interesting experience to see the reviews trickle in, both in English and Japanese. They are definitely a mixed bag; some praise the game as revolutionary, others say it's a mediocre game with pretty pictures.

Basically, the criticism is largely coming from the fact that the game apparently breaks from the traditional Final Fantasy formula in many ways. This makes me think about the constant outcries from gamers for developers to give them new games instead of just rehashing the old ones. It just seems kind of odd when many of the same people berate FF13 for doing too much new. It's just a lose/lose situation it seems. I mean, geeze, it's the 13th game in the main series, shouldn't they be changing a lot of stuff along the way of 13 games and numerous spin offs?

I guess it just goes to show how conflicted gamers are. They want to recreate the magic of old, but get bored sometimes when games actually try to recreate it. It seems like lots of gamers are saying "give me something new, but don't change anything!" How oxymoronic! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment